Sunday, March 2, 2014

Going Abstract!



After Raena's last exciting contribution, I just wanted to keep the book open to the "diorama" page.  And I did just that, for a while.  In the studio I kept the sketchbook open on the shelf I have in the studio for displaying art and works-in-process, so I could enjoy and gape every time I walked by.  What a wonderful page it turned out to be!  Raena did something I hadn't thought of - she expanded the scope beyond the dimensions of the page.  Now that's what I'm talking about!!

Where could I go from there?

I was thinking of Raena's words, in response to my comment on the last post:  "This is supposed to challenge us, push us, make us better than before!"

So that got me thinking.  All of Raena's talent and creativity and I've never seen her do nonrepresentational work.

Not that I do so much either.  I always lean towards the representational.   But I've been infected a bit by the abstract bug, from scanning the internet.  Honestly, it has really thrown me, because it is difficult for me to be satisfied anymore with a purely representational portrayal.  Not that I am throwing it to the wind.

Except for now - I am doing just that!  Abstract for page 4 of our sketchbook!


For this I used a dip pen and some waterproof india ink.  It looked mighty good as a black & white, and then I added the watercolor.  I've tried things like this before, and this is the most successful to date, I think.


So what will Raena do?  It doesn't have to be the same - maybe it is better if it is not - too busy.  I'm interested to see!

(By the way Raena, here is my advice, don't think too hard.  Instead as Thom Yorke suggested - paint to the spot in the middle of your head.  If you want to get exactly in the frame of mind that I was in when I did this (maybe you don't!), go to Grooveshark and listen to the album "Amok" by the band, Atoms for Peace, Thom Yorke's other band (the one I prefer) - it's quite different - unbounded creativity there, for sure.)

21 comments:

  1. I read the words on your blog before reading the words here and it seems I've hit the nail on the head! I'm really starting to love this sketchbook! The first couple of pages I think we were tentative, shy maybe. Now we are really pushing and challenging each other and if this book makes it to the end, I can only imagine how far we will have come! This IS a big challenge for me and I've already started the over-thinking! And I hate to admit it, but I was already trying to think of how I could get something representational to fit...old habits. I was afraid you would try this on me...and now it is time to face the fear. I've already said this...but I can't get the thought out of my head...this is getting so exciting now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this have a title? For me it says Escape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to watch and getting very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy heck...you've got me thinking. I can't seem to take my mind off of it. I have a working idea...but a question. Since I am not very art educated, how would you define abstract and where do you draw the line between abstract and representation. Is it possible to have an overlap of sorts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great thinking! I am so glad you are getting into this. I am totally fascinated with the overlap of abstract and representational painting - a lot of painters are doing it. And that is what I am thinking that I would ultimately like to do. My favorite, a young painter, is Sangram Majumdar - look at his 2012 works: http://sangrammajumdar.com/2012.html There's a kind of feeling that, I know what is happening - but it is not quite there. You can watch a great interview with him where he talks about his work at Gorky's Granddaughter: http://www.gorkysgranddaughter.com/2013/12/sangram-majumdar-october-2013.html You can also look at Gili Levy at http://gililevypainting.com . Other examples that are representational but with some distortions of reality are Ingrid Dee Magidson at http://ingridmagidson.com (a collagist), and Shirley Trevena at http://www.shirleytrevena.com (a watercolorist).

      Delete
    2. Oh and I am self-taught - I have picked up a bit about art history, but I am no expert. I found this, though, that may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_art

      Delete
  5. Fabulous!!!! I simply love it. You both are doing EXCEPTIONAL work and it's so exciting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is getting more and more educational by the minute! Thanks for all the links. I've plenty of research to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is such a treat, a gift, that the two of you are sharing all this with us. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this...it has a distinct map quality

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks a bit like a dream scape… can't wait to see what Raena does with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete