Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Page Two, Part Three


This was incredibly difficult for me; I really struggled with what to do. My imagination is a rusted out, 1967 model. The gears don't run smoothly. If Dan hadn't mentioned that he didn't think it looked finished (I agree), I probably would have just started a new page. My first inclination, and don't laugh because it is REALLY boring, was to add floor tiles and ceiling fixtures. But, I did at least realize that it was a boring solution!

I thought a lot about what Dan's wife had mentioned...that the dancer didn't really match the 'big band' type of music, so I thought I would make it about music itself. Music and it's ability to transport us, make us feel alive. I painted the music bars yellow to show that it can bring light into our world. I thought of writing a quote at the bottom, but couldn't find a single one that I thought would go well. If Dan wants to do something else with it he is certainly welcome. Otherwise, I'll keep looking around and add one later. (Any suggestions?) Maybe I should just add some grass or something??

One of the ideas behind our exchange is that we would challenge each other. This was certainly a challenge for me! Part of it was connecting the big band with the colorful girl. I thought long and hard on how to do that one! The other part was in the composition. Dan placed his band right smack in the middle of that space. I'm not sure how well I've handled that, composition being a weakness of mine, but I did enjoy, through gritted teeth, working through it.

You should see this in person. I have to say that Dan did an excellent job on that band. Each person has such a unique face. The details are impressive!

12 comments:

  1. I sure would love to be in a no hurry journal exchange but do not know of anyone intrested in doing this with me .
    ...You guys did a spetacular job on the two I saw--just so inspiring with the work and words,too...........winna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you managed beautifully to pull the dancer and band together. How about flowers on the ground, thrown down to her from an imaginary crowd?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh one glance and I think I'm hooked on this blog. I love the whole concept and that finished sketch is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic addition! =) It's always fun to see the fusion of style and techniques between you and Dan ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great addition Raena...looking forward to the next part

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Raena! It makes me want to jump up and down and hoot for joy! This is so wonderful! You have added such life to the page, it is almost magical! When I first sent you the page, I thought you'd add a banner or a stage or something. (boring).

    I can tell all of the careful planning you put into it. I love the way the hummingbird is tucked behind the band member, yet in front of the arm, he is flattened, oversized - emphasizing the magical, unreal quality of the moment. And the floating tree, and the notes becoming life - music! Wow!

    I really like that we (you) have broken away from the realism - this may give us new freedom (challenges) on later pages. And I am left with the challenge to make the bottom of the page consistent with the top - yet not too busy or distracting. I like Cathy's idea, similar to my first thoughts, but I will have to give this some thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Everyone!!

    Dan, funny, I didn't even notice the hummingbird! What happened was that when I finished it, I noticed the beak ended right at the girl's arm, which is called a 'tangency' and is supposed to be a no-no. To fix it, I just extended the beak. LOL Didn't realize I had done that!! :D

    It was very uncomfortable to break away from realism for me. Very unfamiliar grounds! But, we are supposed to challenge, no?

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW, I mailed it yesterday morning and included the pen I told you about. It was a tight fit but they didn't have anything else available except boxes for 9.99 shipping. So, I had her add some tape to the envelope for reinforcement!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is WONDERFUL... here's my suggestion for a quote on music...

    “Music is love in search of a word.”

    Sidonie Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you both for commenting on my blog so that I could find you and this mesmerizing exercise in creativity, friendship and sharing. This is the kind of connection I was hoping to find to help me understand how to grow in this new endeavor. Oh, and I don't mind the talking part at all, especially if there is going to be months between posts! Very instructive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic job Raena! I love your addition. Very festive and full of movement. Well done!

    ReplyDelete